Help when you need it, a good read when you don't

Search Result

About alcohol

The liver

The digestive system absorbs around 30% of any alcohol drunk. This is carried around the body by the bloodstream and reaches the liver, one of the largest and most important body organs.

The liver makes and regulates many of the body’s chemicals and helps break down and eliminate toxins and other poisonous substances from the blood. It is here that alcohol is broken down, at a rate of 1 pint of beer or 30cc (1oz) of whisky per hour.

This process breaks down around 90% of the alcohol into carbon dioxide and water, the remaining 10% being processed through the lungs and as sweat (which is why you may smell rotten the morning after).

Liver | Wkipedia
About the liver | British Liver Trust
Love your liver | British Liver Trust
Liver disease | NHS Choices

What does the liver do? | Emma Bryce/ TED-Ed | 24 Nov 2014 | 3m24s

↑ Back to top